Now, I'm on a mission. I am going to figure this out! The second batch looked like the first...just a bunch of water with some white specks in it. So, I changed my strategy. I googled "thick homemade laundry detergent." I found a blog (with pictures) that had a recipe that produced *very* thick detergent. In fact, it was so thick that I thought I would be able to water it down at the end. D.U.M.B.
I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, and I can most certainly follow simple directions. Why is this haunting me? Right now, I have another big bucket of watery detergent sitting in the laundry room. I guess I will hold off my final judgement until the morning, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.
For the record, this is the recipe I used tonight:
Ingredients (Are these starting to look familiar??)
1 5-gallon bucket with lid
1 bar soap
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
soup pot
water
cheese grater
Instructions
Dissolve soap shreds into 2 quarts of warm water over low heat. Stir until completely dissolved. Add washing soda and borax. Continue stirring over low heat until mixture thickens (kind of like pudding.) Pour thickened mixture into 6 quarts of cool water in a bucket. Stir thoroughly. This will fairly quickly become a giant mass of jelly like substance. Use 1/4 cup of mixture per load.
***I cooked the soap mixture for 30 minutes, and it never really thickened. Certainly not to pudding consistency. Could it be the soap I'm using?***
2 years ago


4 comments:
So has ANY of it worked? I'm going over to the Crunchy Mamas board to do some recon on this...
What's the verdict on this recipe?
I want to know if this works! I would love to try it, just for the savings alone. How long did it take all together to finish it?
Okay, I am soooo going to try this one tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know about this. I am so tired of trying new recipes to have them fail miserably! Like I said before, please let me know if you come across a good dishwashing detergent recipe!!!
Post a Comment