There is a little girl named Hannah who was born a couple weeks before Caroline. She has been very sick; one week before her first birthday, she was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder called MPS-I.Basically, Hannah's body is lacking an enzyme necessary to break down molecules called glycosaminoglycans (long chains of sugar carbohydrates in each of our cells that help build bone, cartilage, tendons, corneas, skin and connective tissue.) Over time, these glycosaminoglycans collect in the cells, blood and connective tissues. The result is permanent, progressive cellular damage which affects appearance, physical abilities, organ and system functioning and in most cases, mental development.
She's been through so much...stem cell transplants and chemotherapy. She has had to fight off numerous bacterial, viral, and fungal infections that she's contracted. This little girl really wanted to live, but her body gave out on her yesterday.
Her mother wrote a beautiful story about Hannah's final minutes, and it simply broke my heart.
You might be wondering why I'm writing this here (because I am, too;) I don't know Hannah, and I will probably never meet her mom. But, there is just something about her; I can't stop thinking about her, and I can't even begin to imagine the pain that her mother and father are going through.
I know Hannah has taught me some lessons that I will never forget, and there are things that I am more aware of and more thankful for than ever before...



No comments:
Post a Comment